Skip navigation links
Lyndon Township Home
About Us
Public Notices
Township Boards, Officials and Commissions
Meeting Calendar
Treasurer - Taxes
Ordinance Officer - Permits
Community Links
Ordinances and Plans
Zoning Board of Appeals
Freedom of Information Act
Property Cards - Taxes

Skip Navigation LinksLyndon Township Home > Ordinance Officer - Permits

 Ordinance Officer - Permits

Ordinance Officer -- Merritt Honbaum
Telephone: (734) 475-2401

Building Permits
Lyndon Township, along with Sylvan, Dexter, Lima, and Sharon Townships and the City of Chelsea, participate in the Chelsea Area Construction Agency (CACA). All building permits (construction, electrical, plumbing,  mechanical and soil erosion) are issued through this agency, rather than Washtenaw County.

Building permits are required before starting construction for all structures regardless of use and number of acres owned. This includes such home improvements as plumbing, electrical, mechanical (heating and air conditioning), decks, swimming pools, siding, roofing, replacement windows and outbuildings. CACA will also perform required inspections of the work.

Prior to obtaining a Building Permit, you must first contact the Township to determine if you need a Zoning Permit. Failure to obtain a zoning permit can result in after-the-fact permit fees and work stoppage.

Zoning Permit.  Zoning permits are required before starting any construction for all structures, regardless of use and number of acres owned. This includes such home improvements as decks, swimming pools, storage sheds and outbuildings.

Permits may be obtained from the Ordinance Officer. For further information contact Merritt Honbaum at (734) 475-2401 on Tuesday or Thursday morning between 9 AM and 12 noon.

To speed the process,please fill out a Zoning Permit Worksheet (CLICK HERE TO OBTAIN A ZONING PERMIT WORKSHEET) available on this web site or from the Lyndon Township Office.

Failure to obtain a permit before starting any construction and will result in penalties and possible rework or removal of structure

If the Township Ordinance Officer refuses to issue you a Zoning Permit you may appeal to the Zoning Board of Appeals.  (CLICK HERE TO OBTAIN AN APPLICATION FOR ZONING APPEAL)

Once you receive a Zoning Permit please take it to the Chelsea Area Construction Agency to  obtain a Building Permit before the work can begin. (The Chelsea Area Construction Agency is located at 12172 Jackson Rd., Dexter MI 48130. Near Fletcher Rd. and I-94. The phone number is (734) 475-4420.)

If you are building a new home on vacant land you will have to first obtain an address for your home from Lyndon Township.  (CLICK HERE TO OBTAIN AN APPLICATION FOR ADDRESS)

If you live on a non-approved private road, a Private Road Ordinance Variance may be required prior to your obtaining a Zoning Permit.  Applications are available in the Lyndon Township  office.

Burning Permit:
If you plan to have an open fire, please call the Chelsea Area Fire Authority at (734)475-1339.

Ordinance Officer 


17751 N. Territorial Road, Chelsea, MI 48118

TX (734) 475-2401

Fax (734) 475-2251


Office Hours:

Tuesday and Thursday 

 9:00AM - Noon